As part of Year 2's history topic about 'The Great Fire of London', our Year 2s were visited by firefighters from Northfield Fire Station. During this visit, they had the opportunity to talk to the firefighters about their jobs and they were also able to have a close look at their fire engine. This involved the opportunity to sit in the driver's seat, to use the siren and flashing lights, to find out about the different pieces of equipment on the fire engine and the best part... to use the fire engine's hose on the playground.
At Colmers Farm Primary School, we believe that learning first aid skills is vital. As part of the Colmers Farm Primary Guarantee, we ensure that all of our children in Year 3 receive this training and that this is repeated in Year 5. Today, we were visited by two trainers from Mini First Aid who delivered this. Our trainers were very complimentary about how engaged and motivated to learn our children were.
Today Years 1-6 were visited by Rock Kidz. The Rock Kidz workshops were focused upon anti-bullying and building appropriate relationships. All of our pupils throughly enjoyed these Rock 'n' Roll workshops, which included some acting, songs, dancing and even some staff v pupil dance offs. Mr Lynch, Mr Bowtell and Miss Nazir did the staff proud!
On 14th and 15th June we were inspected by Ofsted. We unfortunately could not share the result of this inspection until today when we received our final report. As a school we are delighted with the report which graded us overall as good and outstanding in Personal Development. This is a testament to the journey we have all been on since joining Excelsior MAT and to all the hard work of our staff, pupils and community.
Our Year 2s travelled by coach to the National Sea Life Centre in Birmingham. They had the opportunity to observe penguins playing happily and otters sleeping peacefully. Our Year 2s were able to touch starfish. There was a whole tank full of clownfish and blue tangs.
Reception had a fantastic time on their recent visit to Little Owl Farm Park, with it also supporting their learning for our Summer term theme of Ticket to Ride. After a very exciting bus journey, our children had lots of opportunities to meet different animals and to explore the outdoors. The highlights of our trip were holding some of the animals and feeding the piglets, watching the sheep race and going on a tractor trailer ride where our children had to spot different animals hiding. We also made sure there was plenty of time for a well deserved ice lolly before our journey back :).
Year 6 had an absolutely great time at The Big Bang Fair at the NEC. This event is the biggest celebration of STEM (science, technology, engineering and maths) for young people in the UK. It was a fantastic opportunity to see these subjects in action, opening an understanding of how large and important a part of our society this subject is. The industrial sectors were out in all force: from HS2 to Specsavers, to Nissan's all Electric Car and Boston Dynamics' Spot Robot Dog - which was something quite awe-inspiring to showcase how science works in real life.
On Monday 12 th June, Years 4, 5 and 6 took part in a Shakespeare workshop delivered by Shakespeare Today. We explored the play 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'. Each class was given a different scene from the play, some classes were even given several scenes and we explored them in different ways. Year 4 focused on creating freeze frames for the opening scenes of the play and Year 5 and 6 challenged themselves by including dialogue in their pieces.
On Monday 5 th June, Year 4 students visited Kenilworth Castle as part of their history topic about Castles. We spent the day exploring the grounds and ruins in the sunshine and learnt all about the history of the castle. We visited the Leicester Gatehouse, which was built in 1571 by Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester, as part of his grand plan to woo Queen Elizabeth I! We also learned about the mysterious death of Robert Dudley's wife - an accidental death or was it murder?
This week has been our writing week at our school. We have based this year’s writing week around a book called Journey by Aaron Becker. This is a fabulous story about the self-determination and unexpected friendships that a little girl makes after she draws a magic door on her bedroom wall, through which she visits a new world. The wonderful thing about this book is that it is a picture book, with no words, which means that every child could access this to different depths.
- 30th Year 3 Zoolab Visit
- 22nd Year 3 Singers Hill Synagogue Visit
- 22nd Year 5 Mosque Visit
- 21st MAT School Parliament Podcasts (Little Leaders, Big Dreams)
- 13th Our 2023-2024 Big Arts Week Exhibition
- 10th Year 5 and 6 Residential
- 25th Year 1's Visit to the Black Country Living Museum
- 17th Year 6's Professor McGinty Visit
- 11th Year 4's Professor McGinty Visit
- 28th Our School's Parliamentarians' Visit to London
- 20th Fire Service Visit to CFPS
- 18th Year 3 and 5 First Aid Workshops
- 12th Rock Kids Visit
- 30th Reception Trip to Little Owl Farm Park
- 23rd Year 6 at the Big Bang Event
- 12th A Midsummer Night's Dream at CFPS
- 5th Year 4's Visit Kenilworth Castle
- 30th Easter Bonnet and Egg Dioramas
- 30th Spring Term Governor Award Assembly
- 27th House of Lords Q and A
- 2nd World Book Day 2023
- 29th Year 6 Cathedral Visit
- 23rd Year 3 Synagogue Visit
- 22nd Year 5 Visit to Birmingham Central Mosque
- 4th Year 5 and 6 residential
- 28th Well Being Award
- 27th CFPS Jubilee Day
- 25th Pathway to Podium Silver Award
- 18th Year 3's Visit to Birmingham City Centre
- 4th Perry the Bull visits Colmers Farm
- 30th Uniform Consultation Results
- 17th Congratulations Tiegan
- 14th PlayMakers Training
- 14th Christmas Theatre Performance
- 9th Governors' Award Assemblies
- 8th Uniform Consultation
- 24th Year 3's Synagogue Visit
- 23rd Year 6's Visit to St Philip's Cathedral
- 22nd Year 5's Mosque Visit
- 5th Year 1's visit to the Black Country Museum
- 21st Professor McGinty Visits Year 4
- 8th Year 3 Zoolab Visit
- 5th Year 3 First Aid Training
- 1st Accelerated Reader Competition Winners
- 27th Our new art and design and technology studio
- 14th MAT Annual Report to Parents
- 5th First Aid Training
- 21st RSE (Relationships and Sex Education) Consultation
- 5th All you need to know about school during lockdown
- 10th Writing week at Colmers
- 5th Our Big Arts Week Exhibition 2020
- 3rd Big Arts Week At Colmers Farm