Meet the Lords
It is not every day that you get to meet a real-life Lord… but that’s exactly what Years 3 and 5 got to do this afternoon. These year groups got to meet Lord Browne of Ladyton, who took time out of his busy schedule, to meet with us via Teams. Lord Browne was a solicitor before entering politics and he served in the cabinet under Tony Blair and then later Gordon Brown as secretary of Scotland and then defence and he is now a member of the House of Lords. They also asked him questions about his roles and his life and found out more about how democracy works in this country. Some of our questions included:
- What is your proudest achievement?
- Has anyone ever fallen asleep in the House of Lords? (answered no, with no hesitation)
- What is your favourite part about being a Lord?
- Has there ever been a very bad argument in the House of Lords?
- What do you wear in the House of Lords?
- Have you had to travel for your job and if so to where?
- Can you speak any other languages?
- If you could change one law what would it be and why?
- What happens if someone is late to a debate?
- Why do we need more laws?
Lord Browne said that he enjoyed answering our questions. We would like to thank the Houses of Parliament Education Team for organising this meeting and also Lord Browne for taking time to both meet us and to answer our questions.