As part of our Colmers Farm Primary Guarantee, which aims to broaden our pupils’ experiences, Year 6 visited Birmingham’s world-famous Symphony Hall to see the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra in action. The music performed ranged from a compilation of music from Harry Potter, to the Angry Birds theme to Ravel’s Bolero. These school concerts are designed to inspire children to explore the world of live music. Our Year 6s thoroughly enjoyed their visit and they represented our school very well indeed.
Pupils across the Excelsior schools participated in the third session of the Bright Leaders Initiative. Pupils engaged in many fun and interactive activities which enabled them to work in pairs and teams to solve problems and to initiate solutions to demanding tasks. The program enabled pupils to improve their oracy skills and become more resilient individuals. Well done to our School Parliamentarians who represented us so well during this day.
Year 6 are fundraising money for Dogs Trust. To better understand the work that this charity do, we invited them to come and speak to us. It was a wonderful afternoon of acting, reading and discussing the work that happens at Dogs Trust. There was even a mystery to solve all about how to stay safe around dogs and why they may behave a certain way.
As part of Year 2’s Colmers Farm Primary Guarantee, Year 2 had a Christmas film night in school. This involved the children, dressed in their pyjamas, watching the festive film ‘Arthur Christmas’ after school whilst also enjoying some tasty nibbles. The children thoroughly enjoyed this experience. Thank you staff for giving up your time to support after school which enabled this event to happen.
It is not every day that you get to meet a real-life Lord… but that’s exactly what Years 3 and 5 got to do this afternoon. These year groups got to meet Lord Browne of Ladyton, who took time out of his busy schedule, to meet with us via Teams. Lord Browne was a solicitor before entering politics and he served in the cabinet under Tony Blair and then later Gordon Brown as secretary of Scotland and then defence and he is now a member of the House of Lords. They also asked him questions about his roles and his life and found out more about how democracy works in this country. Some of our questions included: What is your proudest achievement?
On Thursday 30 th November, Year 3 were visited by Zoolab. The ranger, Ellie, brought in some fascinating animals and quizzed the children on their rainforest knowledge. Children shared learning from their geography lessons and gained lots more knowledge about the habitats and lifestyles of the animals that had come along. Children were lucky enough to see and even hold a giant land snail, millipede, corn snake, rats, tarantula and a tree frog.
On Wednesday 22 nd November, Year 3 visited Singers Hill Synagogue. At the synagogue, Geoffrey gave us a tour of the building and shared with us his knowledge of the synagogue and its history. The children impressed Geoffrey with their understanding of Jewish festivals and practices and asked questions to gain a greater understanding. Year 3 really enjoyed their visit and have continued to discuss their new learning.
Year 5 embarked on an enlightening school trip to Birmingham Central Mosque, guided by Mrs. K. She provided a captivating tour, highlighting the mosque's historical significance as the first purpose-built mosque in the city. Exploring the community room, students admired a model of the Kaaba in Mecca and gained insights into the wudu ritual. Ascending to the prayer room, they absorbed knowledge about its various features such as the minbar, where the leader of the prayer, the imam, stands.
On Monday 13th November, the school parliamentarians from the six schools in Excelsior Trust (Colmers Farm, Green Meadow, Heathmount, Highters Heath, Parkfield and Turves Green), met to work on a number of projects together. This was the first of six meetings that these pupils will have over the duration of this year. At each meeting, our school parliamentarians will produce a special podcast. These will all be displayed below when they are released.
Just before half term we held our annual Big Arts Week at Colmers Farm Primary School. The c hildren and staff this year have worked incredibly hard to create a piece of art based on the seven visual elements in art - line, shape, form, colour, tone, pattern, and texture. Each year group focussed on an artist that uses one of these elements prominently within their work. They have then created their own work in this style.
- 30th Year 3 Zoolab Visit
- 22nd Year 3 Singers Hill Synagogue Visit
- 22nd Year 5 Mosque Visit
- 21st MAT School Parliament Podcasts (Little Leaders, Big Dreams)
- 13th Our 2023-2024 Big Arts Week Exhibition
- 10th Year 5 and 6 Residential
- 25th Year 1's Visit to the Black Country Living Museum
- 17th Year 6's Professor McGinty Visit
- 11th Year 4's Professor McGinty Visit
- 28th Our School's Parliamentarians' Visit to London
- 20th Fire Service Visit to CFPS
- 18th Year 3 and 5 First Aid Workshops
- 12th Rock Kids Visit
- 30th Reception Trip to Little Owl Farm Park
- 23rd Year 6 at the Big Bang Event
- 12th A Midsummer Night's Dream at CFPS
- 5th Year 4's Visit Kenilworth Castle
- 30th Easter Bonnet and Egg Dioramas
- 30th Spring Term Governor Award Assembly
- 27th House of Lords Q and A
- 2nd World Book Day 2023
- 29th Year 6 Cathedral Visit
- 23rd Year 3 Synagogue Visit
- 22nd Year 5 Visit to Birmingham Central Mosque
- 4th Year 5 and 6 residential
- 28th Well Being Award
- 27th CFPS Jubilee Day
- 25th Pathway to Podium Silver Award
- 18th Year 3's Visit to Birmingham City Centre
- 4th Perry the Bull visits Colmers Farm
- 30th Uniform Consultation Results
- 17th Congratulations Tiegan
- 14th PlayMakers Training
- 14th Christmas Theatre Performance
- 9th Governors' Award Assemblies
- 8th Uniform Consultation
- 24th Year 3's Synagogue Visit
- 23rd Year 6's Visit to St Philip's Cathedral
- 22nd Year 5's Mosque Visit
- 5th Year 1's visit to the Black Country Museum
- 21st Professor McGinty Visits Year 4
- 8th Year 3 Zoolab Visit
- 5th Year 3 First Aid Training
- 1st Accelerated Reader Competition Winners
- 27th Our new art and design and technology studio
- 14th MAT Annual Report to Parents
- 5th First Aid Training
- 21st RSE (Relationships and Sex Education) Consultation
- 5th All you need to know about school during lockdown
- 10th Writing week at Colmers
- 5th Our Big Arts Week Exhibition 2020
- 3rd Big Arts Week At Colmers Farm